The way I understand it;
The N500-G if I am not mistaken is a Second Order Butterworth which means that the sum of the signal at Fc(cut frequency) is +3dB more. That is why it is recommended to reverse the phase of the HF driver to cancel some of it because if not the signal at Fc will be more pronounce than the rest of the frequency spectrum.
If you open the HF driver, you will notice that L1 is actually connected to (-) of the voice coil and L2 to plus. Thus, if you follow the conventional Altec wiring with + signal from the output of the XO to L1, and Negative(-) signal from the XO output to L2, then what really is happening is that you are feeding the HF signal + to the negative of the voice coil and (-) to the positive of the voice coil. In short, with conventional Altec wiring, the polarity of the HF with respect to the LF is already reversed.
I could be wrong, but this concept worked for me even if I am using a 1st order XO where plus is plus and minus is minus.
Abe



Bookmarks